Monday, January 24, 2011

There's Witnessing, and There's Condescending...

My boss and I were talking about a particular member today and it really made me think. Because of the cross around my neck and her Christian Living Communities badge, this member, we'll call her Jane, was pleasant to me, gave me tips about her mechanic, where to buy a car, etc. Very cheery, very sweet. To my boss? She was condecending and rude. To the naked eye, my boss doesn't look like a "sinner" or non-believer. But to Jane, she seemed to appear to be satan in the flesh. Not to mention, told my boss in a very patronizing tone, "You could use Jesus in your life". They had not been discussing religion, and my boss would have liked to have kept it that way. Keeps the legalities in check. My boss was offended that her beliefs, or a lack thereof, were insulted--in the workplace, where she was defenseless. Jane had just insulted her, and without missing a beat, turned to me and resumed pleasantries. Uh. Come again?
How many people do you know like that? Unfortunately, I had come to expect it from Jane the milisecond I saw her name tag. I've not met someone that works at Christian Living Communities that has treated me like a human. I'm not saying all people there are like that, but seeing as how I was engaged to someone who works there, I have met a few. I pray there is someone that works for that company that will change my mind. Yes. I prejudged Jane. I was shocked she was nice to me, but not at all surprised at how she treated someone "unadorned". Seriously?
If you intend to bring someone to Jesus, you DEFINITELY don't insult them. Apparently I don't scream GAY because otherwise, she probably would have acted that way toward me.
With that being said, I wonder, how is the following response supposed to "convert" me: "You're pretty enough that a man could fall in love with you"??????? Seriously? Pretty is as pretty does, and baby, pretty ain't my thing. Wanna try that again? My response, "I'm pretty enough that girls like me more!" *giggle* Sorry everyone, I'm full of it today, so I'm just kind of ranting XD.
Anyway, back to my original point. Christ showed compassion and died on a cross for generations of brothers and sisters that he never saw. How hard is it for humans to simply give compassion? Sinners need love too. Jane didn't show love, she judged. That's DEFINITELY not how we're supposed to live. I pray for her sake, that one day, my boss finds God. However with people "witnessing" to her like that, it's a little farther fetched now.

No comments:

Post a Comment