Wednesday, January 26, 2011

45 Life Lessons(borrowed)

I read this and these really make you think. They are also very reassuring. Post after the lessons!


Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland , 
Ohio
"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. 
It is the most requested column I've ever written.

My odometer rolled over to 90 in August,  so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still  good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small  step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating  anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when  you are sick. Your friends and 
parents will. Stay in  touch.

5. Pay off your credit cards every  month.

6. You don't have to win every  argument. Agree to  disagree.

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing  than crying alone.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can  take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your  first paycheck.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance  is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't  screw up the present.

12. It's OK to let your children see you  cry.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You  have no idea what their journey 
is all about.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret,  you shouldn't be in it.

15. Everything can change in the blink of  an eye. But don't worry; God 
never blinks.

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the  mind.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful,  beautiful or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does  make you stronger.

19. It's never too late to have a happy  childhood. But the second one is 
up to you and no one  else.

20. When it comes to going after what you  love in life, don't take no for 
an answer.

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets,  wear the fancy lingerie. Don't 
save it for a special occasion. Today is  special.

22. Over prepare, then go with the  flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old  age to wear purple.

24. The most important sex organ is the  brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness  but you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with  these words 'In five years, will 
this matter?'

27. Always choose  life.

28. Forgive everyone  everything.

29. What other people think of you is none  of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give  time time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it  will change.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No  one else does.

33. Believe in  miracles.

34. God loves you because of who God is,  not because of anything you did 
or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the  most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative --  dying young.

37. Your children get only one  childhood.

38. All that truly matters in the end is  that you loved.

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are  waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile  and saw everyone else's, we'd 
grab ours back.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already  have all you need.

42. The best is yet to  come...

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress  up and show up.

44. Yield.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's  still a gift."

Friends are the family that we  choose.

That one that isn't numbered there at the end? That is the one that I love. The family I am building around me is abundant, rich, and bountiful. Are they wealthy? No way. Do I care? Oh no.

Number 10 is something I should have read earlier today, when I was resisting chocolate. I still want it. I have dark chocolate, but I really want a Kit Kat :D

Number 21, all lingerie aside, is one that I try to live by each day. Today is special, because tomorrow is not promised. So go out for Chinese food on a whim--on a SCHOOL NIGHT.

Number 3. Oh number 3. Hate is the biggest waste of emotion and energy. I would much rather be spent from loving someone, than hating. What good does that do? How does hate benefit you? How are you making the world a better place with hate in your heart? Bet you don't have a positive response to those.

So tonight after choir, youth group, AV club, and baptism class, Momma², Letha, Josh, and I, went to a hole in the wall Chinese joint that Josh knows of. They stayed open for us. We had a mini FDN and great fun! Good thing I get along with Roosters, huh Momma²? ROFL
Anyway, so I am being baptized on Sunday, and I am so excited! Josh and I were talking about it on the way to China Lee(great place and people BTW), and I told about why I went. They highly recommend it to those who would like to be baptized, but it's not required. I went because of the recommendation, and for the refresher course. Oh, and I absolutely love to read about the Saul/Paul transformation. I was Saul for a very long time, and through my transformation, I strive to be like Paul. I never killed a Christian, far less a person, like Saul, but I sure persecuted them. I also was glad to know that I could pick the Pastor to dunk me. I chose Pastor Don.
I chose Pastor Don for a couple of reasons. I enjoy his energy and his passion for God. I also chose him because he is the kind of Pastor that gives me the feeling of being home with God. I grew up in a Southern church(a few actually, but you get the gist). To me, the idea of God is very Southern. I love the Word being delivered with even the slightest Southern drawl. I know, I must be crazy, but it's my truth. Every time in my formative years that I have felt closest to God, was in the presence of an ordained, or liturgist, with a twang. My Daddy was the one who taught me the shortest verse in the KJV, John 11:35, "Jesus wept". My Daddy is one of my favorite liturgists I know. When he talks about God, his testimony, and how God has shaped and blessed his life, I feel so invigorated, liberated, and filled with Christ's love. My Daddy is human, and he has his shortcomings, but that is between him, and God. When I told him I gave my life back to God, and that I am getting baptized, he welled up, he choked up, and said "I am so proud of you, baby. Take pictures for me, ok?" I wish my Daddy lived closer to me. If he knew how to Skype, we'd have Bible study together. Pastor Don, has that little bit of a twang that is just the ticket. There's something to be said about a person with a drawl that has a passion for God. Ok, I'm going to bed :D
Until next time, peace and love

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment